On 3 September 2012 15:22,  <tiri-s...@tiri.li> wrote:
> does this mean net-snmpd lacks dpid2 functionality?

Correct

DPI was an experimental subagent extension mechanism
from the early-mid 1990s, and primarily proprietary to IBM.
It was one of the significant contributors to the development
of the Internet standard extension mechanism - AgentX.

The Net-SNMP agent extension support was developed
around the time that AgentX was becoming standardised
(around five years later).   As such, the development
effort was concentrated on the new standard mechanism,
rather than the proprietary approaches that preceeded it.

In principle, there would be no real problem if someone
wished to implement a DPI extension mechanism for
the Net-SNMP master agent.   But personally, I'm not
convinced it's worth the effort.   I couldn't swear that the
idea has never been raised in the last 10-15 years, but
I certainly can't recall it doing so.