On 31 December 2012 19:34, pal snmp <pals...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I create a final row in the back-end when the ACTION method for
> exampleTableEntryRS is invoked. However, the ACTION method for exampleName
> is not getting invoked until after the ACTION method for entryRS is invoked.

That's quite possible.
The order in which varbinds are passed to the handler routines is
implementation dependent.   It probably depends on the order in
which they are specified in the incoming request, but since SET
requests must be handled "as if simultaneously",  ypu cannot rely
on this.

If you look at the description of SET handling in the file AGENT.txt,
you'll see that this suggests processing the "create row" varbind in
the RESERVE2 pass  (and hence releasing it in both FREE and UNDO)
for exactly this reason - so that the data structure for the new row is
available for the other column variable(s) in the ACTION pass.

Alternatively, one of the changes introduced with the new v5 helper-based
model, was for all the varbinds for a particular table to be processed
together, so that the MIB handler routine could work through the full list
of (relevant) varbinds as required.   For example, go through once looking
for row creation requests, and setting up the necessary data structures.
And then process the list again to apply the new assigned values.

> Is this really expected? Why would the agent not call ACTION methods for the
> preceding columns before calling the entryRS column?

How do you define "preceding columns"?
How is the main agent processing code (which doesn't really know
much about individual OIDs, other than what code should be called
to process them), meant to know which OIDs refer to a RowStatus
object, and hence should be processed first?
Or to another object that might serve a similar purpose in a particular table?

The table-specific processing belongs in the MIB handler code,
so this needs to be ready to accept varbinds arriving in any order.