On 8 January 2013 20:44, Kent Borg <kent.b...@csr.com> wrote:
> I think am only doing scalars, no tables.  (Whether there is a table
> is dependent on the MIB, right? If I have a MIB with no tables,
> I don't need to handle tables?)

Correct.

> With just scalars might there still be a list of requests....

Yes

>           ..... that must be worked through?

No  (probably!)

Think about what would need to happen with a multi-scalar SET request.

   case 1   (multiple assignments of the same value)
        snmpset ....   myObject.0 i 99  myObject i 99
        myObject should clearly end up with the value 99.
If you process the first varbind and ignore the second - then this is
exactly what would happen

   case 2   (multiple assignments of different values)
        snmpset ....   myObject.0 i 99  myObject i 100

        What value should myObject end up with?
        (Remember that all assignments should be applied "as if simultaneously")

I'm not sure what the canonical answer should be to this question,
but it would seem reasonable to end up with either 99 or 100
If you process the first varbind and ignore the second - then you'd
get 99 - which would be OK

   case 3   (multiple assignments including an invalid one)
        snmpset ....   myObject.0 i 99  myObject s junk

        This should either assign 99 or return an error
I could probably argue for either of these as the Right Thing To Do.
But again, if you process the first varbind and ignore the second,
then you'd get 99 - which is not unreasonable.

Make sense?