Hi,

My name is Kostas and I'm a PhD researcher in University of Surrey. We would
like to introduce Net-SNMP in one of our post-graduate labs where students have
some hands on with SNMP.

In the past we used to work with AdentNet SNMP API in Java. However we want to
give the opportunity to students to work with C/C++ so after some search,
Net-SNMP was selected because of its good documentation and tutorials.

I managed to run the tutorial provided and get the sysDescr.0 OID from the
default peer.
However, when I change the remote-host (peername) to the name/IP of the hosts
we used before it did not work. I am getting this error:

$ ./snmpdemoapp
No log handling enabled - using stderr logging
snmpdemoapp: Unknown user name

I have used both the IP and the name of the host. Is there any
configuration/deamon we have to install on the remote hosts in order for the
applications to be able to run?

In addition, do you have any set of lab assignments or anything that could be
useful for teaching purposes? Two scenarios that we tested were (a) traversing
the TCP table and (b) monitoring 'throughput' on IPIn/OutDelivers or
TcpIn/OutSegments

Best Regards,
Kostas