A bit late on this but with your scale, it's definitely worth looking
into monitoring solutions based around SNMP. Solutions like Shinken,
Nagios and Icinga are all designed around snmp polling and can probably
be tuned for 1 or 5 seconds polling for your metrics. You can even send
all the data into InfluxDB and make pretty graphs with Grafana.

Writing your own tool seems overkill for this.

Cheers!

Laurent