Hi,

What do you mean with "my x86 manages a switch" ? Are you running Linux
on a hardware platform with x86 based main CPU, and does the hardware
include some sort of on-board 16-port switch module?

I don't have a solution for you, but if the above is roughly your
situation, you may want to look at what Pica8 and/or Cumulus Linux are
doing. Their software is based on Linux, runs on whitelabel switches and
their SNMP agents nicely report the info & statistics from the ports on
the switch SoC (which is generally a Broadcom unit and iirc somehow
integrates with the kernel, I guess via proprietary Broadcom SDK).

For a network device to have a usable SNMP implementation, you need a
lot more than only the number of interfaces and the interface names;
you'll need interface statistics, VLAN config, forwarding tables, ARP
tables etc. If you're writing this from scratch without any examples,
it'll take a //very very// long time to get that right.

Regards,
Jeroen