Dear all,

I've an issue with the net-snmp 5.8 package, it's the first time, I used this
protocol. I think that I've missed something either in the configuration of the
snmpd or in the writing of the configuration file.
See attached, a description of my problem.

1st step:
======
I've created a Virtual Machine which contains an Ubuntu distribution freshly
installed.
Linux phil-VirtualBox 4.18.0-21-generic #22~18.04.1 Ubuntu SMP x86_64 x86_64
GNU/Linux

2nd step:
======
On this machine, I've installed the gcc, make and ld utilities in the following
versions:
- gcc 7.4.0
- GNU Make 4.1
- GNU ld (GNU binutils for Ubuntu) 2.30

3rd step:
======
I've downloaded the net-snmp-5.8.tar.gz and enter the following commands:
tar xzvf  net-snmpd-5.8.tar.gz
ln -s net-snmpd-5.8 net-snmpd

4th step:
======
Once in the net-snmpd directory; I've tried to configure it by entering:
sudo ./configure and answer all the questions ...

>From this step, I had a problem link to perl module, after a search on google;
>I found out to add specific options to remove it => --without-perl-modules
>--disable-embedded-perl --disable-perl-cc-checks
After this point, I had a new problem link to the snmpd daemon which complains
about a the following shared library libsnmp35.so; ;fix by adding
--disable-static --libdir=/usr/lib

Then, from this step; I've succeeded to build the snmp daemon (i.e. snmpd)
sudo ./configure --prefix=/usr/bin --without-perl-modules
--disable-embedded-perl --disable-perl-cc-checks
--with-default-snmp-version="1" --with-sys-contact="aaa....@mycompany.com"
--with-sys-location="France" --with-logfile="/var/log/snmpd.log"
--with-persistent-directory="/var/net-snmp" --disable-static --libdir=/usr/lib

5th step:
======
I've set the PATH and MIBS environment variables as follows:
export PATH:$PATH:/usr/bin
export MIBS=ALL

I've succeeded to start the snmpd daemon by entering the following command line:
sudo snmpd -Lsd -Lf /dev/null -u phil -g phil -I -f

By doing a ps -edf | grep snmpd; the process is running but not responding to a
snmpwalk request.
By typing snmpd -L -Dsystem.

I got the following error Error opening specific endpoint "" and I haven't
found what is the problem.

According to my understanding, it's looks like the /usr/bin/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf
file is not correctly configured. See attached the present configuration:
rocommunity MyCom1
rwcommunity MyCom2
syscontact aaa....@mycompany.com
syslocation France

Could you please help me to fix this "endpoint" error ?

Thanks - Yogis4031