Hi -

I hope this is an appropriate forum for my questions; if not, apologies.

I've recently been tasked with modifying an embedded application to send an
SNMP trap upon the occurrence of a particular event (a button push). I've read
multiple online tutorials, and they've helped me get a good conceptual and
functional understanding of SNMP. What I am absolutely unable to find is any
specifics on the (byte-by-byte) format of the messages used.

Resources are limited on my target platform, so it's unclear how much of the
net-snmp code I can use. So, my questions are:

  1.  As a first step, I was hoping to hard-code an SNMP trap message, send it,
and examine the Wireshark analysis. Unfortunately, I can't even do this,
because I don't understand the internals of the message well enough to stub one
out. Does anyone know of a resource that would help me with this?
  2.  An example question about the message internals: I understand that
SNMPv2(c) messages consist of:
     *   Version
     *   Community
     *   PDU
The version I understand - it's a 4-byte integer (though I need to get the
byte-order correct). But the community field is described as an octet string. I
read elsewhere that it's not null terminated, so how does the receiver know
where this field ends, and the PDU field begins? (similar question about the
variable bindings)

  1.  (more opinion based) does net-snmp seem like overkill for this
application? After all, I only need to send one message, and I don't need to
respond to anything.

Thanks very much for any guidance. I realize this might not have been the ideal
place to ask, but I am truly confounded by the dearth of information I can find
on the internals of the messages.

mz