Hej,

My 2c is:
1. (T=0) Request being sent, timeout set 1s. Request comes from
IPsrc:PortSrc, PortSrc is an ephemeral port selected by the OS.
2. (T=0+network travel time(ntt)) Request received, request delegated to
thread/worker. Starts loading.
3. (T=0+1) Timeout occurs on sender side. Socket returns, with an error
(ETIMEOUT|EWOULDBLOCK or whatever flavor signaling scheme is used).
4. (T=1+processing time) A retry is triggered, and a new request is sent.
This will come from IPsrc:PortSrc+X, X being a random number from 1 and up.
5. (T=1+ntt), Request is received, delegated to thread/worker. Starts
6. (T=0+ntt+loading time 2s) Reply is sent to IPsrc:PortSrc.
7. (T=0+ntt+loading time 2s+ntt) Reply (6) is received at source, but
socket PortSrc is in a blocked state (the application that would receive it
isn't associated port anymore).
.. then this repeats.

The only thing you can do to mitigate this (on the agent side) is to speed
up the loading. Either just plain faster, or caching the loaded information
somehow, so that the reply can be triggered directly, without loading for t
time-units. Then refresh the information periodically, so that the returned
information is as 'stale' as possible.

BR/Patrik

ps. use wireshark/tcpdump to see if you can see the reply at 6.. ds