Dictated Talk on Mocap/ture

http://www.alansondheim.org/throughput1.png
https://youtu.be/NTEM5gy7DyE
http://www.alansondheim.org/throughput2.png
http://www.alansondheim.org/throughput3.png

What I want to do here is to try to generate an outline of
thinking about motion-capture. Motion-capture or mocap is a way
of articulating the movement of human beings within a computer
or formal framework. There is a mapping that goes on between the
movement and the formal framework. It is within this space this
mapping that different sorts of Transformations can be made,
Transformations that allow you to consider an organism in
general as a supple or motile entity that need not have any
relationship to being human. In order to do this different sorts
of mappings are used. For example you can assign random nodes to
different parts of the body. Or you could do different types of
mapping by changing the topological framework of the
application. Another thing you can do is split the nodes among
several bodies. If you do this the nodes could retain their
articulation of the standardized human body. Or they could also
be placed within a more supple and organic topological
framework. Finally given all of these possibilities there is the
moment, there are the movements of the body itself or bodies
themselves to be considered. The bodies can be placed Within a
formal and standard framework of how a body moves. The bodies
can be placed within a framework of untoward or difficult or
imaginary body movements. Or the bodies can be placed within a
communal setup if there is more than one body and such a
communal setup allows you to have movements between the nodes
that you have already assigned. Working with all of these
transformations, a situation in which you can literally
construct new types of organisms as if you are entering new
types of worlds. It's in this area, an area that I call
edgespace that you can construct the imaginary - this
construction - the imaginary is something I think of as a
projection into the unknown or a projection into new types of
spaces that are in dialogue or dialectic between oneself and the
computer. This is the way of constructing art, a way of making
things that go beyond you and beyond the machine itself. They go
within a situation or a habitus that is - but what I want to do
here is to try to generate an outline of thinking about motion
capture or mocap is a way of articulated the movement of human
beings within a computer or formal framework. There is a mapping
that goes on between the movement and the formal framework. It
is within this space that is mapping the different sorts of
transformations that can be made, transformations that allow you
to consider an organism in general as a couple or model that
need not have any relationship to being human in order to do
this. Different sorts of mapping are used for example you can
assign random nodes to different parts of the body or you can do
different types of mapping by changing the topological framework
of the application of the nodes, in other words the mapping
itself within a formal system. Another thing you can do is split
the nodes among several bodies. If you do this again the nodes
could retain their articulation of the standardized human body
or they could also be placed with any more supple and organic
topological framework. Finally given all of these possibilities
there is the moment that there are the movements of the body
itself or bodies themselves to be considered. The body, the
bodies, can be placed within a formal and standard framework of
how a body moves; the bodies can be placed within a framework of
intrude (?) or difficult or imaginary body movements or the
bodies can be placed within a communal set up, if there is more
than one body, and such a communal set up allows you to have
movements between the bodies that distorted mapping you have
already. Aside from working with all of these transformations
you get a situation in which you can literally construct new
types of organisms as if you are entering new types of worlds;
it's in this area, an area that I call edgespace, that you can
construct the imaginary this construction the imaginary is
something I think of as a projection into the unknown or a
projection into new types of spaces that are in dialogue or
dialectic between oneself and the computer. This is the way of
constructing as a way of making things that go beyond you and me
on the machine itself, they go with in a situation or a
habitation that is unique and exploratory, more like a
laboratory than a finished work of art. So all of this in a way
is a kind of generator of networks that is on the way to be
coming something but it is the becoming itself that is critical
- the art is in the becoming, not in any final product or
stations that is why failure is acceptable within all of this.
In this manner failure itself is raised to the level of
something to be sought, something to be learned from. This is
different than trying to construct a formal work of art or a
finished work of art. We don't do that. We try, we try to work,
we try to work on the edge of the possible. The edge itself
becomes part of the psychological topology of what we're doing.
In this way we're entering unknown territory. In this way
correction, in this way we're constructing even here the
resemblance of a theoretical text based on the speaking body
instead of a final and closed off circumscribed piece of
writing. Thank you.