Finally, successful talk at Haverford, ecological disasters

The talk I gave at Haverford was successful; I'd been working on
it for months. We covered the anthracite region and the
Johnstown flood of 1889. We covered the Susquehanna floods, the
Knox coalmine disaster which suddenly ended anthracite mining in
the region. We covered the Laurel Run fire and the biomes
present there. We covered the Year 2000 report ordered by Carter
and trashed by Reagan. Azure took some images which oddly enough
made me look animated. See below. There is also an image of the
graves of anonymous victims of the Johnstown flood, as well, as
an image of a National Park Service placard indicating the rush
of waters in relation to where we were standing then.

http://www.alansondheim.org/P1000577.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/P1000667.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/P1000668.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/P1000669.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/P1000670.JPG
http://www.alansondheim.org/P1000671.JPG

I've also updated the materials I used for the talk; if you're
interested you can download either
http://www.alansondheim.org/flood.pdf or
http://www.alansondheim.org/flood.rtf

I'm glad to be done with the project; gathering the materials
was both depressing and necessary. It gave me a chance to better
understand the environment I grew up in, the moving of the
earth, the strikes, John L. Lewis, and how the Jewish community
fit into the area, or didn't.

Thanks to Haverford College and Lis Evans, who brought Azure and
me to the class.