Hi all,
Interesting thread.

On Cressingham Gardens Estate where I live, we're currently setting up our own
tenant management organisation and explored a coop option, but as we have a
very complex relationship with Lambeth Council (i.e intention to demolish
through regeneration) the coop structure didn't seem to fit. We are now about
to become a Community Interest Company (CIC).

Interestingly, Lambeth appointed itself as the UK's first 'cooperative council'
though in reality this is meaningless. When housing officers attempted to enact
a cooperative approach they didn't have a clue what it meant in practice, and
said as much. The officers (and councillors) practice is based around tight
control of information through existing technical systems, though they don't
particularly recognise the role of technology. Weirdly, Lambeth Labour party
councillors partnered and campaigned under a joint Labour/Coopertive Party
banner. In other words, they co-opted (I do like a pun;) the term cooperative
to make their policies of social cleaning through urban regeneration more
palatable.

What I've learnt through my experience of housing activism (trying to stop a
council demolishing my home) is that multiple organisational structures are
required to intervene in, alter, or instigate new power dynamics. On
Cressingham, for example, there's a Residents Association, Community Interest
company, Save Cressingham Campaign (organised around an anarchist model), and a
formal council structure based on a written constitution. Each of which
presents different possibilities of action - you need this fluidity or ability
to participate in different structures to address a problems from multiple,
simultaneous, directions. This multiplicity is required because they things we
are dealing undergo constant change which is a central problem of capitalism...
Can you tell i'm in the middle of my PhD writeup ;)

Tom