Alan,

As always, thanks for the response. I've never seen 'Good Omens' - probably just as well, or it might have influenced me. I agree with you about the differences between Old Testament and New Testament, though. To me the Old Testament is more mythic/poetic, whereas the New Testament is more of a direct challenge, it makes me feel more anxious, and I think that's because in many ways it feeds straight into the modern era. It's asking us at every turn whether we believe it or not - and I find myself constantly going through a process of thinking 'Okay, I can believe in this bit (eg. the Sermon on the Mount), but I can't buy into that bit (eg. the resurrection)'. But the magnificent thing, which it shares with the Old Testament, is that it's prepared to acknowledge other points of view - Doubting Thomas being a case in point. 'I won't believe it until I see it with my own eyes.' It seems to me that the Jewish tradition of writing is quite different from other ancient traditions in that respect.

Edward