Hi Patrick, a few things to an excellent article!

We all want to be truly hybrid here, that's a given, and it depends on
situations - incarceration for example doesn't lead to that. Hybridity
depends on one's neighborhood; I don't feel safe going out where we are,
almost all the time; it's a luxury to have a back yard, a lawn, a park
nearby, and so forth for many. Zoom fulfills with simplicity the old idea
from way back in the 50s of the videophone; for me it's also enabled me to
have discussions that never would have been possible any other way. With
Second Life, you emphasize the monetary / capitalist aspects of the place,
but for me and a great number of people I know, it's also a sandbox for
recording, experimentation, discussion, etc. I'm much more upset about the
way that the MacGrid cut out almost without notice after a conference etc.
announcing its opening - and that platform, which would have been and was
useful to many of us - just more or less suddenly disappeared. (I was able
to retrieve *.oar for the most part, but that's a different story. SL seems
to be more active again now.

As you know, the crest of the wave here is not passing, but is here with a
vengeance, and the situation has gotten violent just about everywhere. And
that makes SL, Zoom, Discord, all of this, much more vital than every; the
amazing success of the ELO conference, over a week, is proof that these
things can work - to the extent that I hope in the future ELO and other
organizations _always_ have Zoom or some such running and integral, to
precisely fight again the neoliberalism that underlies academic financing
and everything else - so that we might have more of a level playing field.

And god knows we're all asking for compassion, Facebook is good for that in
spite of the vicious scaffolding -

Best, Alan