fervid unctuous anxious neurar solunar pipa

http://www.alansondheim.org/pipa2.jpg
http://www.alansondheim.org/pipaone.mp3
http://www.alansondheim.org/pipazero.mp3

"'Alas, Euphues, by how much the more I love the high climbing of
thy capacity, by so much the more I fear thy fall. The fine crystal
is sooner crazed than the hard marble; the greenest beech burneth
faster than the dryest oak; the fairest silk is soonest soiled; and
the sweetest wine turneth to the sharpest vinegar. The pestilence
doth most rifest infact the clearest complexion, and the
caterpillar cleaveth unto the ripest fruit; the most delicate wit
is allured with small enticement unto vice and most subject to
yield unto vanity. If therefore thou do but hearken unto the Sirens
thou wilt be enamoured. One drop of poison infecteth the whole tun
of wine, one leaf of Coloquintida marreth and spoileth the whole
pot of porridge, one iron-mole defaceth the whole piece of lawn.'"

"She, having thus discoursed with herself her own miseries, cast
herself on the bed. And there let her lie. And return we to
Euphues, who was so caught in the gin of folly that he neither
could comfort himself nor durst ask counsel of his friend,
suspecting that which indeed as true, that Philautus was corrival
with him and cockmate with Lucilla. Amidst, therefore, these his
extremeties between hope and fear, he uttered these or like
speeches :--

'What is he, Euphues, that, knowing thy wit and seeing thy folly,
but will rather punish thy lewndess than pity thy heaviness? Was
there ever any so fickle so soon to be allured? Any ever so
faithless to deceive his friend? Ever any so foolish to bathe
himself in his own misfortune? Too true it is that as the sea-crab
swimmeth always against the stream, so wit always striveth against
wisdom: and as the bee is oftentimes hurt with her own honey, so is
wit not seldom plagued with his own conceit.'"

- from John Lyly, Euphues: The Anatomy of Wit, 1568,
edited Croll & Clemons, 1916

__