dear all
thanks Alan for your exquisite, resonating poem, it has internal rhyme i have
still to figure out, so many referernces and beautiful images;
well, enough, everyone knows we are friends, and also collaborators, so that, i
think my views don;'rt count. Annie's question is odd (Hi Annie, greetings!)
and yet stimulating; ask a painter why they walk into the studio every day
....well, to paint!
And your reference to musicians, Alan , is well taken, as are the references to
writers like Klemperer Knausgaard, or the sleepless Aby Warburg or the
sleepless Hella Pick who just published 'Invisible Walls"....

Well, i have nothing to say, except respecting Alan's daily poetry and music
and the jpgs very much, almost now for me, for a few years i think, since our
ISIS "writings" and blog back then, a recording task. I record/archive what you
send us, I sometimes show it to students, sometimes use your acoustic music in
my dance, sometimes curse the times in which we cannot support our
collaborations more, or see you have grants and invitations come your way
more.....

But I also meant to write about memory, years, parents, old homes, lost times,
and had wanted to share a passage from Frank Witzel's new memoir, "Inniger
Schiffbruch"  (maybe translatable as "Intimate Shipwreck"), but it's too
painful, dealing with parents who died and are dead, memories coming up,
re-memories, old notes, super-8 films, flashing up, reverting us to strange
questions (was is Pam Zhang who asked, "what makes a home a home", in her "How
Much of These Hills are Gold?"), about us, providences, determinants,
coincidences; and our ancestors, yes, shadowy figures, and why we stay up at
night writing..

regards
Johannes Birringer