I find this incredibly chilling

> It is all just incentives.

Bad Shibe manifested a similar world but all the cute jokes, along with
suggestions of more-than-human agency (even if the agent was perhaps a
living meme), somehow softened it.
https://rhea.art/bad-shibe

Its a good call to conjure the cold implacable world of
economic-incentives-only - and strip it bare - so we can really see what we
are dealing with.

Bravo!

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 7:13 PM Edward Picot via NetBehaviour <
netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org> wrote:

> Seconded! I had to read it twice before I started to understand it.
> There's an epic science fiction novel in here.
>
> On 30/06/2021 07:46, Annie Abrahams via NetBehaviour wrote:
>
> Thank you for this strange and beautiful story Rhea
>
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2021, 22:48 Rhea Myers via NetBehaviour, <
> netbehaviour@lists.netbehaviour.org> wrote:
>
>> https://twitter.com/rheaplex/status/1402443000454672384
>>
>> The RAFFLE Act (Retreat Away From Flood Level Elevations) mandated
>> withdrawing from rather than fighting rising sea levels. It bankrupted
>> entire cities and made landowners in the “RAFFLE Belt” into trillionares.
>> As a legal dodge, all property by the sea was declared to be $1.
>>
>> These properties were were purchased by funds that mixed them with
>> property far inland and sold them as bundles, showing a massive profit.
>> Until various DAOs bought the bundles using flash loans, broke them up, and
>> sold the prime land for an even higher profit.
>>
>> The DAOs held on to the junk properties, ostensibly to save the gas fees
>> (which were more than the properties were worth). But then asteroid mining
>> started. Asteroids were aerobraked onto the planet and mined by cheap human
>> labour rather than expensive offworld robots.
>>
>> Aerobraking a planet-smasher dumps ridiculous amounts of ash, soot, and
>> grit into the atmosphere. Which reduces the sunlight that hits the Earth’s
>> surface. Which cools it. Suddenly the oceans weren’t going to rise as high.
>>
>> So the DAOs holding junk properties were suddenly quintillionaires. They
>> cut up submerged buildings and glued them together on the newly high land
>> and undercut RAFFLE Belt landlords. The RAFFLE Zones became vibrant
>> economic and cultural hubs.
>>
>> The other thing that cutting out the sun and hitting the planet with the
>> force of a frat party of Tsar Bombas does is to make bits of the planet
>> where nobody and nothing important lives uninhabitable. Some of the RAFFLE
>> DAOS were Deodands, onchain land and wildlife proxies. And this left them
>> understandably angry. With their newfound wealth they could incentivize
>> those humans plugged directly in onchain to do something about it. From
>> ecoterrorism to mass protests to rituals of morning. Those ridden by any
>> DAO in this way are known as “horses”, a piece of classic cyberpunk
>> cultural appropriation. Over time as action and protest failed, all that
>> was left for the deodands were the horses of mourning rituals. The
>> superstars of the deep anthropocene, the fame and incentives for their
>> inhuman performances unimaginable.
>>
>> And yet however many APUs the deodands spin up to embody their grief they
>> do not understand it’s subjectivity. One of them has a plan to address
>> this. If there are any ethical problems with the plan, the deodand cannot
>> see them. And therefore they do not exist for it.
>>
>> It is all just incentives.

Ruth Catlow
she/her
Lab
+44 (0) 77370 02879

*I will only agree to speak at events that are racially and gender
balanced.

**sending thanks
<https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-newsroom/press-releases/2019/november/think-before-you-thank-if-every-brit-sent-one-less-thank-you-email-a-day-we-would-save-16433-tonnes-of-carbon-a-year-the-same-as-81152-flights-to-madrid.html>
in
advance

*Furtherfield *disrupts and democratises art and technology through
exhibitions,
labs & debate, for deep exploration, open tools & free thinking.
furtherfield.org <http://www.furtherfield.org/>

*DECAL* Decentralised Arts Lab is an arts, blockchain & web 3.0 technologies
research hub

decal.is <http://www.decal.is>

Registered business address: Carbon Accountancy, 80-83 Long Lane, London,
EC1A 9ET.