Hallo,
Alan thanks for this music from old times. It's wonderful.
I was not in attendance, but distinctly remember another concert night in
Dallas, around 1986, where you were eating or playing audio tape that you
had ripped from the reels and torn around the room like a mad obsessionist.
I think the concert was in an obscure underground club in Deep Ellum.

I checked on your reference, "Guide de la Conversation Francais-Anglais, A
L'Usage des Voyageurs et des Etudiants," as it intrigued me and one of my
younger sports friends is preparing to travel to Paris next week; I found
an excerpt in Bellenger's (& Poppleton?) edition of 2015:  [p.208]

« Monsieur, j'ai pris la liberté de vous envoyer chercher. Je crains
d'avoir besoin de votre assistance. Comment vous trouvez-vous en ce moment
? Je ne sais. Je me trouve tout je ne sais comment. J'ai la tête tout
étourdie, et j'ai de la peine à me tenir sur mes jambes. Je ne suis pas
bien du tout. Je me sens bien malade. Je suis d'une faiblesse étonnante.‎ »

Please tell us about David Smith (or was it Dave Smith?, the midi pioneer?)
what keyboard instruments were you messing with?  I really love the sound.

On another note, re: preservation. I am surprised the tapes survived and
you can play them, or do they now also sound different, with mulch?  A
Canadian friend of mine passed in early 2023, and for his memorial we are
trying to exhibit some of his early work, video and audio tapes from the
80s; his son wants to digitize the early works, but has been warned that he
may only have one shot before old brittle tape disintegrates. (Not that I
am against disintegration, don't get me wrong.)

with warm regards
Johannes Birringer
Outrenoir*

(Just found out about Pierre Soulages's work, now on view at Musée Soulages
in Rodez. Fascinating)