Thanks  Eric,

I'm on a mac. I suspect it would be easier with a PC
I have tried this kind of approach so far with no success but I will give it another go now.

in the meantime I found an alternative if un-compact solution to my problem. Not exactly - but the Firefox Clipper add-on http://clipmarks.com/ does allow you track (and comment) your own surfing.

cheers
Ruth

On a PC you can try:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.qfb\Backups
in firefox and
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application
Data\Netscape\NSB\Profiles\9jou3mgc.default\bookmarks.bak in Netscape.
On a Mac, just drop down o the console or file manager check out the same
folder extensions /desktop/path/path/path to firefox/profiles/
It will be in xhtml but a quick copy and paste should do the trick.
Eric