The program could be made self-modifying so it changes from generation
to generation (I think I mentioned this before but I do like the idea
;-) ):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymorphic_code

It could have a simple emotional system, like the one from The Sims
(this code is public so I don't think there's a problem with IP
contamination):

http://www.donhopkins.com/drupal/node/148

Since the program is becoming distributed it could be reworked into a
Map-Reduce form using (e.g.) Hadoop. The program could then scale to
hundreds of thousands of instances existing on thousands of servers.

And since it is becoming network accessible it could be reworked as a
bot, existing on IRC or Instant Messaging.