On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 1:23 PM, marc garrett
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I found Simon Yuill's text very
> interesting, so much so that I have read it twice now.

Yes I missed it when it was in Mute but it is very good. I've now
bought an old ICA Scratch Orchestra catalogue and a CD of some of "The
Great Learning", which I highly recommend despite being later
repudiated by a Cornelius Cardew who was by then a Maoist

Ubuweb have some of Cardew's writing on their site, including a
version of "Stockhausen Serves Imperialism", the text that the title
of Yuill's essay was taken from. The full quote is interesting because
I think it reads quite differently:

"I say that all problems of notation will be solved by the masses,
i.e. through the efforts of working musicians and composers and also
teachers and musicologists, engaged in the practical activities of
music." - p.88.

http://www.ubu.com/historical/cardew/index.html

It's interesting to compare the Scratch Orchestra with Art & Language,
who I think are another interesting model for collaborative
technological projects, however much they'd probably hate the idea.

> What I find reassuring is that many of the writers also practice media
> art themselves, which brings things a bit closer for artists, because I
> have experienced a divide between techies and artists, and it ain't cute.

I really enjoyed the launch event as I got to meet more than enough
people making a living by combining Free Software with media art for
me to now be able to tell people that it is viable. :-)

> When I have more time (putting some reviews up on furtherfield today) it
> would be great to talk about some of the texts in greater detail.

Yes that's a good idea.

> It is definately equal to Node.London's Media Mutandis publication via
> Mute. Although, Media Mutandis was accessible free online for download,
> it would be good to know why the FLOSS+Art and publication is not also
> free online, the decisions behind this. Especially when they are
> exporing themes linked to this, but of course they need the cash and do
> so much for free anyway, so it is hard to criticize them on this level.

Yes. Many of the texts are available online elsewhere. And all are
under at least one Free licence in the book, so readers of the book
are free to copy and share what they need to.

- Rob.