Minimfinity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6TLk27MgKk&feature=channel_page

Sci-Fi short story by Alan Walker (USA)
Inspired by videoart "Kompakt"
Created by Paulo R. C. Barros

They had a perfect minimalist existence, a model flat, small, compact, neat,
well kept, clean enough to eat off of. Filled with minimal plastic furniture
and soft linens. Decorated all in black and white tiles, a dash of red or blue
or yellow, nothing more. There is a fern in the corner, a friendly reminder of
mother earth.

They had a robot cat or a robot dog. It rarely needed walking, cleaner than
kids, easier to train. They worked regular office jobs, commuting on the train,
mass transport a part of their modern minimal lifestyle. No gasoline worries
for them. Heating was included in their compact condo. They entertained on a
regular schedule, usually a couple of times a month, having dinner guests, and
playing couples party games afterwards, Scruples, Win, Lose or Draw,
Balderdash, you know the lot. It was an almost perfect life, ideal in every
minimal way!

As John looked up from the architechual model, the daydreams of his future
plans quickly dissolved away at the sight of his wifes lawyer walking towards
him. He looked down, moving in front of the model, attempting to block the
display with his body, No, not my designs! You cant take away my dreams!

Oh yes we can John. Herere the papers drawn-up in court. The judge was very
specific. Elaine gets everything! Even your brain! You have no intellectual
property. You have no assets. She owns the clothes on your back. Give me those
too. Thats a good boy John. And then the matrimonial-pneumonial vampire walked
away leaving John a shell, drained even of his dreams.

She wouldnt wait long, the police were probably already on their way. Public
humility was an expertise of hers. He thought it endearing when theyd first
met. Now realizing the true horror of her gift, John had only one escape. He
stood in the office hallway, naked and defeated. He ran down the hall to the
mens room. Going into the stall he began to daydream.

The black and white tiles of the stalls, all neat and clean. The fern in the
corner, a friendly reminder of mother earth. A dash of red and its over. John
has escaped into minimal nothing, his only retreat.

www.paulorcbarros.com