Hello Kristofer,

Thank you for your answers.

I only ask, because I feel your work seems to deliberately incorporate an
agenda where, reactions or interpretations of a similar type are an
important factor, an essence of the work's nature and purpose, perhaps not
its whole reasoning but it does seem essential.

>Even though people don't write themselves it is
>interesting for them to read what other people wrote we believe.

Yes, I think it is an important pert of the process, part of its growth or
presence - this could be said for most art and its dialogue culturally.

OK - so my next enquiry relates to art and controversy. Are there any
examples in your own work or others work where you think that they may have
crossed the line, or do you think that anyone or anything is fair game?

One of your projects which I found very interesting which was a kind of
'cultural' intervention, was 'A Visit to a Mosque'
http://www.slashseconds.org/issues/003/002/articles/brodypaetau2/index.php

>From my own perspective this seems a mild intervention, but of course it
symbolises something stronger when we take the position of those who's lives
exist around the mosque, as a part of their sacred and daily ritual.

"The camera movement ends with the sight of a pair of brown cowboy boots
standing on the floor under the shelves, witness of a visitor whose shoes
wouldn't fit into the shelves. The provocative presence of this alien
intruder is undermined by the natural and smooth character of a random
observation. We find ourselves confronted with our own stereotypes created
mainly by media."

Cowboy boots are a stereotypical pair of items which we all expect Americans
to wear, but we know that many different people chose to wear these items
around the world, but Muslims? What I saw from this work was an attempt to
create a playful paradigm shift when placing such items in an environment
which has experienced prejudice as well as a culture of violence, not only
from racists and negative media representation but also from some its own
factions of religious extremism. So, in this context, the boots themselves
could be perceived as an invasion into another culture's space.

I look forward to discussing further soon.

Karen

we believe criticism is interesting and important, therefore we invite
people to criticise our works online and keep the criticisms as part
of the documentation. We don't feel like starting a discussion with
those anonymous criticisms although sometimes people start responding
to each others comments which is fine if it happens. So to answer your
first question YES there are several points in criticizing asn making
it possible to do it. Even though people don't write themselves it is
interesting for them to read what other people wrote we believe.

NO, a reaction from the public whatever it might be is not the main
purpose of our work, although it certainly is one purpose.

Best, Kristofer