Oh bloody hell! :-) I have a friend who has a year and a half old Mac, her hard drive crashed, it's costing $1200 to get the data off, out of warranty and the tech place was awful to her. Mac is as much or more of a monopoly than windows; it's a great operating system, but as far as I'm concerned they're at least as evil as MS - I mean you really have to buy their equipment to get their OS. I know there are workarounds, but at least with PCs you can run anything on anything and get it cheap. Every one of these fucking companies squeezes the most they can out of consumers.

As far as win goes, Vista sucks. XP has been great for me - I run everything from hell to back on it, and cygwin speeds up a lot of tasks for that matter. And at least I know how to get to the innerds should I have to.

I have 2 vista machines I got working ok and fast but had to configure the hell out of them. Actually looking forward to win 7, just following the talk now.

Tried to get Android running off disk iso on XP & Vista, froze on splash screen. Not giving up yet.

Boot my HP laptop XP into unbuntu off flash drive, that's cool and a full OS for that matter.

Only one real solution - swallow the wires! Once they're tangled deep enough, we're our own OS and can go back to things like the "telephone" instead of IMS

- Alan - great piece of writing below!