Hi Helen
<I apologise for causing any offence>
I absolutely don't think you need to apologise for *anything* - it must be odd
to post something that feels entirely uncontroversial & raise such a storm.
I think you've done everyone here a service in (inadvertantly!) starting a
interesting discussion &  when things get a little fiery it's usually an
indication that there are important issues at stake.
I agree entirely with your points below & particularly that when it comes to
cuts/attacks on funding whether in arts or education it should be shoulder to
shoulder first and foremost.
Doesn't & shouldn't stop us arguing the detail, though, as we head for the
barricades...
michael