On 09/01/10 11:43, tom corby wrote:
> This is a good old fashioned bit of shit-stirring.
I can't really imagine Michael "shit-stirring"...

> As pointed out by Simon, I found the art and language quotes deeply
> ironic given that their practice was largely nourished (and financed)
> within the University of Leeds. Ahem.

There's more irony to be had in the quotes, that's why I posted them.
That and, as Michael points out, they are funny.

Art & Language are anti-academic but started and have often ended up in
academia. They are politically committed but show at a gentrifying,
market-leading gallery. Despite protests to the contrary they are
radical artists who have artworld careers. I like them.

It's very easy to criticise academia, artistic careerism, the art
market, politically/socially committed art etc. from the security of
one's own, virtuous, position outside of them. But there's no point
outside the world where we can stand and point and laugh at it.

We all need to be careful about glass houses, or at least work on
smashing our own windows, whether our teaching means we are objectively
in academia or our radical socially committed artistic practice means we
are objectively part of gentrification.

The most important criticism is self-criticism, although this may
sometimes mean that we have to admit we are not criticising others
enough. ;-) I've taught, I've wired up abandoned warehouses, I've
attended private views, I write reviews for a techno-art-and-society web
community. We are all guilty...

- Rob.