I think Scrivener satisfactorily address what knowledge is within the
context of the debate he elicits. He posits apprehension as a way of
understanding or comprehending, in distinction to knowledge within its
narrower cognitive sense. I think he does this so as to avoid arguments of
relative epistemological value whilst at the same time wishing his argument
to remain pragmatically engaged with the operation of UK academia. It would
be easy to slip into a philosophical musing where Kant, Heidegger and
Wittgenstein could become the cardinal points of the argument. BatesonĀ¹s
distinctions here are useful but run that risk, although his concept of
sensory knowledge is close to what I think Scrivener is proposing as
apprehension. Simeon Nelson is looking at this sort of thing with his work
at Hertfordshire at the moment.

Best

Simon

Simon Biggs

s.bi...@eca.ac.uk  si...@littlepig.org.uk  Skype: simonbiggsuk
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/
Research Professor  edinburgh college of art  http://www.eca.ac.uk/
Creative Interdisciplinary Research into CoLlaborative Environments
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/
Electronic Literature as a Model of Creativity and Innovation in Practice
http://www.elmcip.net/