realization*

At eight years of age we realized that our brains were an object and
that the process of our 'consciousness' was a 'purely' physical
process. This realization was accompanied by the understanding that we
could no more trust our ability to retain and process information than
the fragile systems for its collection. At the time we could not
understand how such a dangerous realization could have slipped into
our young hands. Later we realized that the process of living is
essentially a process of suspension of disbelief, of rejecting
information which is complex or invalidates the system of perception
which revealed it. Nothing we have learned subsequently has been as
painful or disorienting than this realization, realization,
realization, realization, realization, realization, realization,