On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 09:11:45 -0400 (EDT)
Alan Sondheim <sondh...@panix.com> wrote:

> I've always been disappointed in OpenSim and ended up remaining,
> along with people like Fau, Liz, and Jo, in SL (although I think they
> have an OS presence), because of its reliability; if I'm doing a
> performance or meeting someone, SL is almost always really stable.

Plus SL land (ownership or renting) is cheaper (I'm guessing) than a
renting a dedicated server (I'm fairly sure running OpenSim on a
virtual/shared host would be met with a big resounding NO), and you
don't need sys-admin skills in SL (or any other already existing grid),
and SL has the largest user base meaning attracting users to your
site is that little bit easier.

James.

> - Alan
>
> On Sun, 11 Sep 2011, James Morris wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 10:02:31 +0100
> > Rob Myers <r...@robmyers.org> wrote:

> >> They should switch to OpenSim:
> >>
> >> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page
> >
> > Just because the grid software is 'open' doesn't necessarily
> > translate to the grid content being hosted in an open way. It's a
> > bit like (but not much) telling a Facebook user they should switch
> > to Apache.
> >
> > http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Grid_List
> >
> > Is a list of grids, but how to choose? Number of users? Is gambling
> > allowed? What is the currency (if any)? How much of a risk
> > is it committing time and effort and real-world money into setting
> > up base there? Etc.
> >
> > I've not really had time to look into other grids yet. I have a
> > login with OsGrid but have only used it once.
> >
> > James.
> >

> >> [It's Mono-based, but good software.]
> >>
> >> - Rob.
> >

> > --