Perhaps they mean 1967? But that remains much later than any dawn, into the
second generation of electronic computing. Realistically you would have to say
the dawn was closer to 1947 - but that depends on how you define a computer. It
could be considered to have dawned far earlier. This author could benefit from
some texts by Zielinski, Parrikki or Huhtamo, on media archeology, in their
Christmas stocking this year?

best

Simon

On 29 Jul 2012, at 11:55, Tom Keene wrote:

> Perhaps I'm missing something, but "dawn of computer revolution in 1997" made
> me double take. The beginning of the computer evolution in 1997! Come on, the
> conditions which gave rise to a computer revolution go way way back - its not
> possible to use specific dates that mark the beginning, the world doesn't
> work like that, there are many strands and trajectories of technological and
> human histories, the formative years of the telegraph to name but one, that
> made it inevitable that the current conditions of this technological age
> would take place. But then I haven't read the book....;)
> Tom
>

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM, marc <marc.garr...@furtherfield.org> wrote:
> Close to the Machine: Code and the Mesmerism of Building a World from
> Scratch
>
> by Maria Popova
>
> The sociocultural relationship between humanity and technology has been
> the subject of equal parts dystopianism, utopianism, and layered
> reflection. But what of the actual, intimate, one-on-one relationship
> between human and machine, creator and created? That’s exactly what
> software engineer Ellen Ullman explores in Close to the Machine:
> Technophilia and Its Discontents (public library) — a fascinating look
> at the riveting dawn of computer revolution in 1997, those formative
> years of learning to translate the inexorable messiness of being human
> into elegant and organized code, examined through Ullman’s singular lens
> of being a rare woman on this largely male-driven forefront.
>
> http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/07/26/close-to-the-machine-ellen-ullman/

> --
> TOM KEENE | THE ANTHILL SOCIAL
> ><> Artist. Interactive Designer. Programmer.
> ><> 07930 573 944
> ><> 47 Hardel walk, Tulse Hill, SW2 2QG
> ><> t...@theanthillsocial.co.uk
> ><> www.theanthillsocial.co.uk

Simon Biggs
si...@littlepig.org.uk http://www.littlepig.org.uk/ @SimonBiggsUK skype:
simonbiggsuk

s.bi...@ed.ac.uk Edinburgh College of Art, University of Edinburgh
http://www.eca.ac.uk/circle/  http://www.elmcip.net/
http://www.movingtargets.co.uk/
MSc by Research in Interdisciplinary Creative Practices
http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/postgraduate/degrees?id=656&cw_xml=details.php