From:  Paul Hertz <igno...@gmail.com>
Date:  Saturday, March 21, 2015 at 12:31 AM
To:  NetBehaviour for networked distributed creativity
<netbehaviour@netbehaviour.org>
Subject:  Re: [NetBehaviour] On 0p3nr3p0.net -- Cable Vision Generations

Glitch as an expressive trope for memory loss, in my work, see
http://paulhertz.net/works/glitchez.html: "glitch as a metaphor for the
processes by which we record, forget, mythologize, discard, recast,
contradict and reconstruct our collective experiences in order to make some
kind of sense of the world."

While it's true that digital media don't undergo the same generational loss
that analog media do, the networked image and networked media in general
undergo transformations within the systems themselves (i.e. with no direct
human agency) in resolution, dimensions, and (critically) accessibility.
Servers compress media, resize it, archive it, go offline. New technologies
no longer support old content. The loss of web page content is notorious for
anyone looking for early net.art, for example.

When we couple the issues of archiving and obsolescence with the continual
repurposing of media in social networks, the potential for "generational"
loss returns in full force. Edmond Couchot's concept of "immedia" (cf.
http://www.olats.org/livresetudes/etudes/couchot1984.php,
http://www.multimedialab.be/doc/citations/edmond_couchot_medias.pdf, in
French) reimagines Claude Shannon's model for information theory as
bidirectional, with the message assuming a degree of agency both as an
element of an autonomous system (the network) and as a result of the sheer
speed with which it is exchanged and modded (the social network). The
networked immedia image becomes inherently unstable. Its instability
promulgates a different species of time from that of analog media. Where
analog media lost quality through linear temporal processes, digital media
lose quality all-at-once, uchronically (to cite Couchot again), in multiple
spaces and nodes. Sequential-access tape is emblematic of analog temporal
processes, as random-access storage is of (networked) digital processes.

-- Paul

http://paulhertz.net/