I agree re below (as far as I understand it, just coming back from NY); email btw goes all the way back to the origins of the Net (I have the two earliest manuals on how to use the Net here), around 45 years ago. The reason is that discussion works, that it opens vistas, that it creates an environment for thinking; for me, we might as well say that when we talk to each other f2f, we ought to bring along smartphones, whiteboards, etc. Empyre is an excellent example of the depths an email list can reach in protracted discussion, and one can and does always add urls of course.

Apologies if off-subject here, Alan, catching up still