Hi Marc and all,

Thanks for the quote & question! To draw a minor correlation between my
text and this Illich quote – Illich wrote Tools for Conviviality in the
early 1970s, the same time the first GUI (Xerox Alto, later Star OS)
operating system was being developed. So it's interesting to think that,
while he writes at a time not too long ago but before even the personal
computer and the GUI, his comments are very easily read within the
present context where mass production quickly brings to mind the
manufacturing of information. His ideas about isolationism, destruction
of 'community' and relentless individuation recur frequently in
contemporary net criticism, and his declaration that “corporate
endeavours which thus threaten society cannot be tolerated” is
especially resonant these days, with Google's rebranding etc.

I think the shell metaphor is also quite fitting. What I wanted to get
at in the text was that any interface acts as an enclosure: it presents
options to the user, but in the end these parameters are designed and
constrained - some possibilities of user-responses/interactions must be
omitted, and we shouldn't readily consider these omissions to be inert
gestures but moments where interaction is governed. I think the
interfaces of Android, iOS/OSX, and Windows have been moving towards
what Illich might have considered a “man-made shell” for quite some time
already - our shifting perspective on the filesystem is to me emblematic
of this. The more we find ourselves within this shell, perhaps the less
we consider our devices (laptops, tablets, phones, etc) as tools? I have
the impression that, when it comes to tool-use, a sense of
agency/ownership is important. I think we are really losing the
entitlements that come with user-agency and tool-ownership as a
consequence of these 'smart operating systems' and their reluctance to
share their dirty laundry (filesystems, background processes,
data-caching, and so on) with us - should we ask them to.

Regards,
Dave