Dear all, just a quick reminder in the seasonal madness
 it would be lovely to see you at the private view on December 18th.Come and
have a glass of wine and a chat. Details below.
tom

http://digital-realism.net/296-2/

FLOATING POINTS
Gavin Baily, Tom Corby
Ambika P3, University of Westminster,35 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5LS
Private view:  6.00 pm Friday 18th December
Exhibition Opening hours:  Saturday 19th Dec – Monday 21 Dec,  12.00-6.00We are
pleased to announce a new exhibition by Gavin Baily and Tom Corby consisting of
3 screen-based projects and an installation set within P3’s underground
galleries.The Northern Polar Studies (2015) and Minima, Maxima (2015) are
premiered, while The Southern Ocean Studies (in collaboration with Dr Jonathan
Mackenzie 2010), and Cyclone (2005 – 2015) are uniquely shown together for the
first time. All 4 works employ various forms of climate or meteorological data
to visually and physically condense the aleatory, hidden and the systemic
aspects of sites and landscapes as large-scale data animation or installation.
Art has long found ways to make tangible the Earth’s exhalation of atmospheres
and climates. This exhibition can be seen as part of this tradition, but breaks
from it by bringing contemporary scientific technologies, data and institutions
to bear to show how universal concepts of human relations with landscape are
still  pertinent in a contemporary context of accelerating climate change.
Additionally, the complex entanglements of the social, material, atmospheric
and geographic explored throughout these works, extend our feel for landscape
and also our sense of how time functions in it. Landscape through its
laminations, layering and morphologies, is conceived in this work as a
recording device that tracks the Earth’s changing energy signatures. This
movement of time and matter reimagines environmental terrains as extended
temporal forms resultant from long-term changes; which we might propose of as
‘deep time landscapes’.This work has been made in collaboration with the
British Antarctic Survey, and special thanks goes to Nathan Cunningham, Dr
Clare Tancell, Professor David Walton, Dr Beatrix Schlarb-Ridley, Professor
Mike Meredith, and Pete Bucktrout. Funding for this work has been by Arts
Council England, the Arts and Humanities Research Council and the Natural
Environment Research Council, and the Centre for Research in Education, Art and
Media at the University of Westminster.