On 2016-03-22 06:41, helen varley jamieson wrote:
hi everyone,
 i am seeking advice on 2 questions:

 firstly, i need to upgrade my laptop & have decided to make the
transition to linux. mint has been recommended to me for the OS. does
anyone out there have any advice regarding choice of hardware? ideally
i want a small laptop with a dvd drive, ethernet port, & separate
audio in & out ports.

No DVD drive (I use an external one) but I've been using ThinkPads running Debian GNU/Linux for several years now.

Adding GNU/Linux to an old laptop is usually a good way of extending its life *if* the hardware is fully supported.

The only problem with laptops for GNU/Linux are generally graphics acceleration (Intel graphics tend to be good for this) and Free wifi drivers (if you're not worried about this it's much easier, although I just have a replacement wifi board in my current laptop that works entirely with Free Software).

 secondly, i'm working on an installation which includes projected
animated text. previously i've done this in a basic but effective way
with powerpoint. this time, i want more control over the animations
than powerpoint allows, and it needs to be a looping video as it's
going to be left running on its own. can anyone recommend a good
software for text animation? (preferably open source).

Depending on the text and the time investment, Blender can be good for creating and editing animations. It's not always the easiest software to use though.

- Rob.