Hi Nathan,

That's lovely news - my cynicism for crowd funding is suddenly restored ;-)

And, such a great project of course...

looking forward to working with you on it.

Wishing you well.

marc

On 28 July 2016 at 10:44, nathan jones <nat...@mercyonline.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> delighted to announce Torque's new book and public discourse project, in
> partnership with Furtherfield.
>
> ARTISTS RE:THINKING THE BLOCKCHAIN will be a beautifully designed,
> accessible introduction, speculative art and radical theoretical book about
> this still largely mythical technology.  It aims to reroute conversations
> that up to now have been dominated by financial concerns, into less
> utilitarian areas.
>
> We're over halfway through our small crowdfunder
> <http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/artists-rethinking-the-blockchain>, so we
> just need a few more pre-orders and pledges to help us get the project
> launched. Your pre-order or donation will contribute to printing costs, and
> most importantly help us compete for funding from Arts Council England,
> which is tricky given the shadowy subject matter.
> So we need all the help we can!
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kngWnLDyeCM
>
> We're also seeking proposals
> <http://www.torquetorque.net/projects/open-call-artists-rethinking-the-blockchain/>
>  for
> content.
>
> http://www.torquetorque.net/projects/open-call-artists-rethinking-the-blockchain/
>
> After a range of public events, Artists Re:Thinking the Blockchain book
> will launch in Jan 2017 as a limited edition print edition and freely
> available digital copies, accompanied by a blockchain-based-protocol
> version.
>
> It will be our third book after Mind Language Technology
> <http://www.torquetorque.net/publications/torque-1-mind-language-and-technology/>(2014)
> and The Act of Reading
> <http://www.torquetorque.net/products-page/product-category/torque-2-print-ed/>(2015).
> The book will be designed by Mark Simmonds.
> torquetorque.net
>
> Do share the info if you think others will be interested.
>
> WTF?!
> The blockchain is best known as the technology which underlies 'Bitcoin',
> but our central assertion is that there is need for discourse, play and
> speculation by practitioners outside of financial-technology circles -
> particularly given the potential for democratic and cultural changes which
> have been proposed as part of blockchain's evolutions.
>
> If you don't know anything or not much about the potentials of the
> blockchain, this book aims to bring you up to speed on theory and mechanics
> of this new technology. If you do, its a platform to combine the
> inventiveness of creative culture with this emergent technology.
>
> It's a hugely resonant time to be undertaking this project, as the book
> and discussions will show.  Our current systems of governance, finance and
> civic mechanics appear to be crumbling under 'post-truth' politics,
> psychotic economics and media saturation.  Is the blockchain going to be
> our saviour?  Probably not. But art is a great way to understand and
> [...]

Marc Garrett
Co-Founder, Co-Director and main editor of Furtherfield.

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since
1996

Furtherfield Gallery & Commons,
Finsbury Park, London N4 2NQ