There clearly has been a rise in Islamophobia recently , fuelled in no small
measure by the government's attempt to scapegoat all Muslims with the
despicable Prevent strategy. We also saw the beginning of an attempt by May to
ratchet this up with her 'Enough is enough' speech towards the end of the
election campaign.I wanted to say, though, that it's important not to sink into
despair.I've been very active around Stand up to Racism over the last year and
I've experience some interesting and often counter intuitive things.When Arek
Jozwik was killed in Harlow last year the vigil we organised a couple of nights
after was attended by significant numbers of the white working class poor who
live in the area. These will statistically have been 'leave' voters...We've
campaigned pretty much every week since then, largely around opposition to
racism ,in the town centre on Saturday mornings. It was certainly not always
easy going but there was always a minority of people willing to engage. (
especially the young, in a prefiguring of the huge pro Corbyn upswell)We also
held a 60 strong rally against racism in early March -again very much dominated
by the under twenties.
What changed the atmosphere completely was the Labour manifesto - all of a
sudden people had hope, focussed on improving the lives of all not 'competing
for resources' ( a myth of course - stop spending millions on Trident, on wars
of intervention and tax the rich and resources would be no problem, but a
potent myth especially in the absence of hope that things might change). Even
after the two horrendous attacks in Manchester then London this enthusiasm and
this change of atmosphere was maintained -we heard very  little overt racism
and experienced next to no hostility.This has continued since the election with
the humiliation of both May and UKIP - what was interesting last week though
was that although the racists were in a small minority they were coming out
with all sorts of filth around Grenfell ( but once again large numbers of
people were signing the May must go, people not profit, working class lives
matter ,petition ).In short I'd put forward three propositions.(1) Racism  and
Islamophobia are clearly a major problem and  one encouraged by this weak and
nasty government(2) We are not, though, powerless bystanders -whether it's
directly combatting the racists through SUTR or offering hope through agitating
for this government to go and for us to have the very real chance of one
committed to a real improvement in the lives of ordinary people there is lots
of very concrete, very practical work to do.(3) Although there will be some
ways in which artists can bring their specific talents to bear in this ( I have
got very good for example at making large banners each week:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/szpako/35212704985/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/szpako/34239170983/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/szpako/34159735663/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/szpako/34929717326/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/szpako/34062471264/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/szpako/34223234740/
 )
we should participate along with as many and diverse people as we can in
organising, protesting, demonstrating... This is not a time for any sort of
guild mentality but for getting stuck in.

I particular urge anyone in the UK not a member of Stand Up To Racism to join
today.
http://www.standuptoracism.org.uk/

best wishes to allMichael