Historiclly, I think yes, art, in particular with a european context in mind -
has a link with play or playfullness. However, and here am trying to link the
shaman questions in, we get slightly other-than-mere-play focuses that can be
linked with art.

Yes, I agree that institutions make something that is beyond play - is it not a
bit like a shaman that instils within a community their way of How we,
community X, do the culture play?
..and again, with some sort of link with institutions that connect with art,
there is the flip-side, the creation of sense of reverence, which tends, i
think, to restrict play.

However, I think that perhaps the term "play" is not playful enough since it
creates, possibly wrongly  in my mind - a sense of dualism.
Do we not get, by imagining art as kind of a play, a sense of that which Is
meant and sone as a playful thing, and that which isn't?

Moreover, I keep having questions regarding the history and the practice of
playfulness in art. Are we not getting into a history of some mystification of
being a child and a practice, that even if we remain within the "play"
paradigm, is perceived as art-linked when it's not entirely or at all playful -
but when there are evident questions about How we - culture X - might be doing
"play"?

Again, perhaps extending the shaman to a druid and a prophet, as art
maintaining practices in various cultures at different periods, I think there
is the Time element that art institutions function. In this sense, of time and
kind of Meta"play" I think the notion you mention it utterly - prophetic.
Prophetic in the sense that a prophesy is to do with perceiving stuff that
alters slowly or slightly in time. An institution, as an art archiving species,
may live as long as its hosting culture allows, sometimes even beyond.

Adorno, I suspect might have said something regarding play, art and
entertainment. Perhaps if we had an adorno-bot, it could make for an
interesting discussion? Or would it only be limited to some playful
entertaining quality? Maybe not a quality but some value?
..and at what price? ;)

Here, perhaps am being playful with references from adorno, through to
memorials, and wilde - however I doubt this are clever enough to infer as to
How we might be doing such plays.
I think that if it had that How element, the sequence will - despite a certain
resemblance -  might be something other than "play" indeed.
In that sense, for example, I perceive the way Alan, the way if i may say You,
make stuff as a process, as having that other element, the element that takes
the It, that alan-making-species to be in the category - being able to be
morphed in and out of that species that we might call art, without losing
itself.
(See Category theory Morphism..)

However, going back to the distinction with play and having a similar yet
different sequence:
think - art is neither a rat not tar, when meanings come to mind.
think - wind and wind(ow), or how would one's mind go had i typed wild rather
than wild(e)..?

Apologies if am repeating myself, but in context of naval gazing thoughts..
There is a term in japanese for stupid - Baka.
Baka, so the story goes, is linked to an emperor that kept calling a horse - a
dear, and a dear - a horse..

Have fun and many cheers!

ahanona
xxx