(trying forward)
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 11:09:01
From: Eyebeam <i...@eyebeam.org>
To: Alan <sondh...@panix.com>
Subject: Letter From The Residents

resource for teachers | library of collaborative methods | by Eyebeam
residents Caroline Woolard and Or Zubalsky

                           A collaborative letter
                             from the residents

                               Re: September
                                Unsubscribe

    Resource for Teachers | Library Of

    Collaborative Methods

    Dear teachers and students of collaboration,

    As residents at Eyebeam, Or Zubalsky and I have been
    developing an open access library of collaborative methods. With
    support from the New York Foundation for the Arts, today we are
    launching The Study Center for Group Work.

    We hope that teachers, art spaces, collectives, worker-owned
    businesses, art classes, and working-groups will use this online
    library of collaborative methods that have been recommended by
    artists. These methods often embrace the unknown, encouraging
    people to listen deeply enough to be transformed. We invite you
    to learn about collaborative methods, to access teaching
    resources, and to see the schedule for upcoming events and jobs
    related to collaboration.

    For example, here are some methods for:

 *

    group functioning  (Asset Mapping) (Diagram Hacking)

 *

    decision-making (Voting and Ranking)

 *

    role clarification (Threeing) (Questions for Schematic Theater)

 *

    healing and care (Support)

 *

    shared leadership (Leadership Compass)

 *

    communication (Intergroup Dialog)  (A Field Guide to Spatial
    Intimacy) (Hand Signals)

 *

    conflict resolution (Shark, Owl, Turtle, Teddy Bear, Fox)

 *

    reflection (Three-Line Matrix) (Group Self-Assessment)

 *

    analysis of images and systems (Project 404) (Mirror/Echo/Tilt)

 *

    and speculative futures (Objects as Fictions, The Alternative
    Unknowns)

    The artists who have contributed to this resource include:
    Leonard Nalencz, Shaun Leonardo, Robert Sember of Ultra-red,
    Project 404, Sick Time with Canaries, Judith Leemann, Kenneth
    Bailey and the Design Studio for Social Intervention, the
    Extrapolation Factory, taisha paggett and Ashley Hunt, Jean
    Gardner and the estate of Paul Ryan, Asha Iman Veal Brisebois
    and Adelheid Mers, Christopher Robbins, Aaron Landsman, Cori
    Olinghouse, Melanie Crean, and Chloe Bass, as well as curators
    Danielle Jackson, who facilitated a retreat for the group
    earlier this year, and Stamatina Gregory, who curated an
    exhibition at Cooper Union in 2016 that led to this site. You
    can see a video of that, here.

    If most people have no experience of democracy at work, at home,
    in school, or online, how can we learn to collaborate? How do we
    develop a musculature of shared decision making and of shared
    work?

    A few years ago, we began to notice that many visual artists had
    developed methods of listening and group work. Yet they did not
    have a way to share their work with one another or with the
    public. Just as dancers take classes throughout their lives,
    more and more visual artists are committed to group work through
    daily practice. We ran a pilot program that took the form of an
    exhibition called WOUND: The Study Center for Group Work,
    curated by Stamatina Gregory, at Cooper Union in 2016-2017. The
    Center was written up in The New York Times, Art in America, and
    Artforum; we knew it needed to continue. We are excited to share
    this online library of collaborative methods, and to announce
    that we will be working with Spaceworks at the New York Public
    Library to provide trainings throughout the year.

    Here is an upcoming workshop you can attend:

    Saturday, September 30, 5:00PM

    How can we support ourselves and each other? This workshop looks
    at the ways in which we meet our needs for wellbeing in order to
    dream, practice, and work on any project. Support extends beyond
    the life of our projects, often shaping the ways in which we
    navigate the contradictions of living and working on independent
    projects. Join us for a ?brain massage? and mutual connection.

    3-5pm at Spaceworks @ Williamsburgh Library, 240 Division Ave,
    Fl 2 Brooklyn, NY RSVP

    If democracy is an endless conversation, then The Study Center
    for Group Work aims to cultivate behaviors that allow groups to
    work together. To get in touch with us, or suggest a
    collaborative method, please email us at
    i...@woundstudycenter.com. To join the mailing list, please
    enter your email here.

    In cooperation,

    Caroline Woolard and Or Zubalsky

    [9d47111a-6c9a-4dcb-b42a-6b071af3b5d9.jpg]
    Caroline Woolard, Water Clock (Eye Amulet), porcelain and
    water, 8" x 2" x 2", photo by Levi Mandel, 2017.

[8b0d03103d9f9c09815632f1c8230898.png]

    Eye to Eyebeam: Randy Sarafan

    We spoke to alum Randy Sarafan about his time at Eyebeam, his
    DIY artistic practice and previous projects. Read more here.

[0d10f88d-51f0-4c37-a91c-e54884730e59.png]
Moving to Bushwick

    We are moving this week to our new home. Donate to #reBeam, our
    move campaign, and help us settle in our new space.

[7140fbe3-a832-43a2-91f9-b191ff956126.png]
[1f63c978-7981-4479-950e-6fa950e366c9.png]

    tech by artists

    eyebeam.org

[736e832e-56ad-49ce-a56f-bc6d9cb5fd76.png]
   [256fccc8-8523-4d22-b584-9463dbe1b98a.png]
  [2ad052b7-42f9-4b1b-a474-dfe62584b1a0.png]

    Technology by artists is possible thanks to our funders

[3951e2d7-c70e-49a0-aea6-de83b1bb37a9.png]

                 This email was sent to sondh...@panix.com
    why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update
                          subscription preferences
  Eyebeam ? 34 35th Street ? Unit 26/5th Floor ? Brooklyn, NY 11232 ? USA

[open.php?u=c72c271895f3f76b36105229c&id=eaa10b167b&e=91de474aad]