st...@prd.co.uk (Steve Blinkhorn) writes:

>But this led me to wonder how I would cope if, for instance, a server
>came up in single-user mode requiring an fsck.

This is handled by using server hardware that has an out-of-band
management console, i.e. BMC, ILO, DRAC, iRMC, or just a serial
console with a terminal server and a remote power switch.

Configuring some kind of emergency network before doing fsck
is difficult as you need to run with read-only disks and it
wouldn't help with other types of errors. It's too late to
answer a kernel or even a boot loader prompt.

Greetings,
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlel...@serpens.de