On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 6:35 AM, Robert Elz <k...@munnari.oz.au> wrote:
>     Date:        Wed, 15 Nov 2017 06:03:40 -0700
>     From:        Andy Ruhl <acr...@gmail.com>
>
>   | I can't seem to make this motherboard's BIOS disable ACPI.
>
> The intent was to disable it in NetBSD via the boot prompt - but that
> is only possible if your boot.cfg (on the netbsd-7 root) was set up to
> give the menu and wait a few seconds for you to interrupt.
>
> If you don't have a menu entry for booting with ACPI disabled, you should
> still be able to boot manually from the boot prompt, just give
> netbsd the "-2" option.

Ok, I sort of got past that but it might still be an issue.

This is what I've done so far:

Booted the Netbsd-8 installer, used the /bin/sh prompt to mount the
internal disk and configure a USB network interface.

I put an install kernel in the root of the boot disk and rebooted.
Interruped the bootloader and booted the install kernel.

Before the reboot I unplugged all disks except the root disk, which is
partitioned "old style" with separate partitions for /, /usr, /tmp,
and /var

The installer complained about the disks it couldn't find but
eventually I upgraded to netbsd-8.

I rebooted and confirmed that it works (other than complaints about
the disks which don't exist). ACPI appears to be working.

So now it hangs here:

http://acruhl.freeshell.org/netbsd_wont_boot2.jpg

(last message is kern.module.path=/stand/i386/8.0/modules)

I don't know what's happening at this point.

Andy

(P.S. - For people new to NetBSD, disregard all of this. These are all
"old man" problems. Don't be discouraged by this nonsense! Just use
amd64 like normal people.)