Hi all!

I just tried installing NetBSD 8.0 on my ThinkPad R51 (i386, intel video) from scratch. A long time, I usually just updated again and again. The laptop worked quite well with 7.x and was stable. I upgraded to see if certain issues (just two: video and sleep not working) improved.

I just wanted to write a positive mail [*] for some compliments:
1) I was unable to boot from USB key, kernel worked, but the it did not mount the root file system... apparently not detected
2) made a ISO on a CD-RW and boot was fine, no issues at all
3) I was pleased to have already high-resolution console working.. nice white on blue.. but big!
4) format, partition (default) set install is really a "breeze"
5) further setup is quick
6) reboot and get a nice prompt, enable EULA for intel card and WiFi works

very nice! Only glitch? I choose german as a language and I noticed that while Umlauts kame out, the ß was not printed out replaced with a space instead.

so e.g. Größe displayed as Grö e.

Cheers,

Riccardo

[*] actually the enthusiasm stopped soon: I have issues that I did not have on 7.x and crashes, but about that, a second email so that this remains positive :) :)