On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 01:01:18 -0700
Don NetBSD <netbsd-embed...@gmx.com> wrote:

> The banner says:
> U-Boot 1.1.1
>

> custom Sun Microsystems U-Boot 1.3
> ^^^^^^
>
> And, autoboots a Linux 2.4.22 kernel (which must reside on internal
> FLASH as it boots even with the drives pulled!)
>
> I am hoping to make some time to play with this over the weekend
> (or, over the holiday).  Right now, its just "in the way"  :-/

Not sure about your case specifically, but on my system there is an
ILOM SP (service processor), this is separate from UltraSPARC T2
processor.

They use embedded Linux that boots into SP, which is what you see on
the banner. This allows you to ssh into the system when it is not
running and configure/upgrade firmware, start/stop OS, etc. By default,
ILOM uses DHCP to acquire IP address and the default login/password is
root/changeme. There is a special management port that you need to plug
to the rest of your network. Alternatively you can use serial-to-usb
cable, which I guess is what you're doing since you can see SP boot
messages.

I think the SP is some kind of embedded IBM Power processor.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19350-01/820-3010-12/820-3010-12.pdf