On Sun, Sep 08, 2019 at 11:03:28AM +0200, Pierre Dupond wrote:
> Thanks for your answer but I was thinking to
> the AES instructions of the processor which can speed
> up a lot the encryption.
>
> FreeBSD has for that the module AESNI, but I have not seen someting
> similar for NetBSD.

Well, it is a bit moot as far as I can see because the only hit for a
card I saw in the first couple pages of a google search was one that
cost around US$700 (there were a few other hits but the cards are no
longer available...)

> An other device which should be interesting in the context of cryptography
> is a random numbers generator. A lot of such
> generators exists most with USB but some with PCI. One interesting
> but quite expensive is manufactured by IDQuantique
> (https://www.idquantique.com/random-number-generation/overview/).
> Long ago I have written a driver for it.

Getting good quality RNG sources is always a challenge... if you are on
a modern x86 platform then the TPM chip can provide them.  The TPM is
also capable of enctyption but it is not intended for bulk encryption,
the interface is too slow/limited for that.

--
Sent from my NetBSD device.

"We are were wolves",
"You mean werewolves?",
"No we were wolves, now we are something else entirely",
"Oh"