I have a laptop (TOSHIBA), w/ 8.1.

When I boot with an external monitor attached (and laptop lid closed), after
the 'drm' is activated, the current text line is below the bottom of the
external monitor!

Same thing at the login screen and after logging in.  Need to press ENTER
about 10 times to see what was just typed.

If I flip the laptop lid open, the layout on the internal screen is perfect,
eg, all the text is inside the screen boundary.

This is not a 'adjust the monitor' problem.

'stty rows 48 cols 128' and then a command that resets screen will fix the
screen to be visible.

it was 56 rows and 200 columns, where does this come from?

What I think is happening, is that the boot detects the size of the internal
screen even though it is supposed to be OFF.  (Lid closed.), and uses that
resolution for the external screen.

Of course windows 10 has altered the original BIOS so the Toshiba hot keys
for switching the internal / external monitor do not work (well, outside of
windows 10 that is).  They do not work at boot up anymore.

So, is there some place to override the detected screen resolution at boot,
so it works on external monitor with different resolution?

Also, If the internal / external monitor keyboard hot keys WERE working, how
does netbsd adjust the resolution when switching back and forth?

Thanks,

John Refling