I've stripped down my system from non-base packages, except for pkgin and
did
pkgin update
pkgin full-upgrade
Re-installed my packages but, the issue persisted.
I've then pulled the 9.0_BETA from the daily-builds using curl from the
terminal and transfer the image to an usb. Upgraded from 8.1_STABLE to
9.0_BETA using sysinst and rebooted. From console, I've pointed
repositories.conf to

http://www.ki.nu/pkgsrc/packages/current/NetBSD-9.0_BETA/All/

pkgin update

pkgin full-upgrade

Yes, pulling packages from Japan takes some time...

but everything is working now.

Regards,

Pedro