Hi

On 10/8/23 01:41, RVP wrote:
On Sat, 7 Oct 2023, Ramiro Aceves wrote:

Just to be sure before breaking everyting ;-), is this right procedure to upgrade as The NetBSD Guide says?

"When upgrading between major releases (e.g. between NetBSD 8.2 and 9.2), take care to first upgrade the kernel and modules:

#  sysupgrade fetch https://cdn.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-9.2/amd64
#  sysupgrade kernel
#  sysupgrade modules
#  reboot
#  sysupgrade sets
#  sysupgrade etcupdate
#  sysupgrade postinstall
#  sysupgrade clean
#  reboot

"

Yes, that's the correct procedure, but, I've never tried an update like
that using `sysupgrade'--I generally do a fresh install from scratch.

And, unless you're fine with compiling your applications from source, I
would hold off on the upgrade until the binary packages for 10.x arrive:

https://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amd64/

 but changing the URL to this?:

 http://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-10/latest/

 Thank so much.

sorry, this one:

http://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-10/202310051300Z/amd64/

Use the URL with `latest' in it.

-RVP

Hello RVP

Thanks for answering.

Before you answered I could not wait and was so excited that I did a sysupgrade to NetBSD 10.0_BETA and I can say It has been a very good learning experience. Only the sysupgrade etcupdate was a bit boring but It went ok.

Now I can use the modesetting driver in Xorg and everything is smooth watching videos.

I did not realize that there were no precompiled packages ;-) I have been compiling XFCE, Firefox, Libreoffice. VLC, Vim, etc....a bit slow and boring but not problem. This is an experimental system just to learn the OS and practice.

Many thanks for all. I will continue learning.

Regards.
Ramiro.