> I can use setxkbmap in X to change the input language. If I am in text
> mode and not in X how can I switch the input language?

See wsconsctl(8), in particular the first example there.

NetBSD's apropos(1) command is full-text and phrase-based and can
help you to find the proper commands/man-pages yourself.

In this case,

        apropos -1 -8 -5 -7 keyboard layout

works pretty nicely.  "man -k ..." does just the same kind of search.
The result order is based on "relevance" of the search words as a phrase
in the man-page.  Be imaginative about the search words.

        apropos -1 -8 -5 -7 input language

would direct you to NLS(7), describing the POSIX "locale" system.

Because apropos(1) standard search/result ouput is often voluminous,
I usually prefer "apropos -l" legacy searches.  These just cover the
one-line "NAME" entry of any man-page, such as

        NAME
           ls – list directory contents

The phrases here, just single search words.  Results in this case:

% apropos -l -1 -8 -5 -7 keyboard
x68k/loadkmap(1) - load and set the x68k console keyboard map

% apropos -l -1 -8 -5 -7 console
wscons.conf(5) - workstation console config file
i386/console(4) - i386 console interface
amiga/console(4) - amiga console interface
iteconfig(8) - modify console attributes at run time
x86/boot_console(8) - selection of a console device in the x86 bootloader
x68k/loadkmap(1) - load and set the x68k console keyboard map
x68k/loadfont(1) - load and set font for the NetBSD /x68k console

That is, no reference to wsconsctl(1) here, a misleading entry for
iteconfig(8) (Amiga/Atari only), but the wscons.conf(5) is a proper
hit here.

                                                Martin Neitzel