Thanks Eric,

I am running on OS X 10.12.6.  I just attempted to create a new user
directory without importing any settings.  When I attempt to enable "Java
EE Base" plugin, the following "Activation Failed" warning dialog appears:

Activation Failed:  "Not all requested modules can be enabled:
[StandardModule:org.netbeans.modules.j2ee.kit jarFile:
/Applications/NetBeans/NetBeans
8.2.app/Contents/Resources/NetBeans/enterprise/modules/org-netbeans-modules-web-kit.jar]