On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 12:46:30PM +0200, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> part on top of netlink). Right now there are none, so this won't cause
> any trouble, the question is if we want to retain the possibility or
> just don't care about this case.

I'd say that as it is general use of netlink between two user-space
processes is highly undesirable because of the ease of disruption
of that communication by a third party.  There is simply no way to
stop a a malicious third party from filling up your socket receive
buffer.

So any serious use of netlink in user-space will require some major
rework on the infrastructure, which may have to wait till netlink2.
Therefore, I don't see any problems with removing ability for
user-space processes to bind to netlink families that aren't
registered in the kernel.

Cheers,
Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>